Thursday, November 22, 2007

Full Day At the Hospital!


This morning we took Ryker for his appointment at the University Hospital...for his eyes...and everything looks good. The Doctor said that he doesn't need glasses, and that we should just watch and see if we notice any change in his eyes. Yaaa! I'm so happy about that. I just can't imagine trying to get an 11 month old to keep their glasses on, but how cute would that be? Poor Ryker though...they put those drop in his eyes to dialate (sp?) his pupils and for the rest of the day he was squinting...it was so cute. We had to wait 20 minutes after the drops, so we walked the halls at the hospital and everyone thought he was so cute trying to walk on his own. He knew exactly where he wanted to go...the little cafe place at the end of the hallway...haha! And he thought the big kids playing with the toys in the reception area where pretty cool. But I find the toys in doctors offices really gross so I was trying to keep him away. Unfortunately the toys I brought just weren't as much fun! Haha!


We came home for a quick break in between, dropped Ryker off at my parents and then headed to Cody's appointment at another hospital on the other side of the city. It was actually kind of nice having both appointments in one day. This was his final testing for Celiac's Disease. They did an Endoscopy where they put a scope down your throat, go through your stomach and into your small intestine (is what I was told). They put Cody to sleep and they freeze your throat so you don't feel anything and it doesn't hurt when you wake up. Of course I had to wait in this really gross waiting area by myself...but I got a lot of magazine flipping done! I got to go into the recovery area when Cody was awake, which they didn't let me do last month when we were there for another test. We talked to the nurse a bit who gave us our lovely piece of paper instructing Cody that he was to start his Celiac diet immediately. Time to crack down and really figure this stuff out! Someone had asked in another post what his symptoms were, and really he didn't have any that we were aware of. It's a long story...but Cody had ulcertive colitis from the time he was about 12-13 around there. Right after we were married he had major surgery and he's been really healthy ever since. But this past summer he started to feel a little sick and so he booked an appointment with his specialist just to make sure everything was fine. By the time he had his appointment he felt normal again, but his Doctor did testing anyway and that's how we found out he had celiacs disease. Supposedly there are a lot of different symptoms, but can also be similar to colitis symptoms. I still don't know a lot about it all, but trust me I'm learning quickly. We have to wait a week and a half to find out the results of the tests from today, but at least now we know what kind of changes we need to make. I'm actually looking forward to eating healthier. And suprisingly there is a lot out there now that is gluten free. We've tried a few things, but the flour is sooo expensive! And I've found some great blogs and websites from people that have shared with me...so thanks a lot!


Everyone else is already asleep here, so I'm going to get some scrapbooking stuff organized for tomorrow night. I get to go scrapbook with some friends! It should be fun! I love nights like this when I can work and organize in peace and quiet...and then of course my favorite time when I peak in on Ryker and make sure the covers are pulled up before I go to bed! I love it!


:)

3 comments:

Talia said...

Sounds like you had a full day! Kay. I'm glad Ryker doesn't need glasses but he would be so stinkin' cute wearing them, hey? Oh, cute little boy. Good luck with the eating for Cody...hope that all goes well. I wish I could help with food ideas but I barely manage to feed my husband normal food! haha!!

Anonymous said...

Kim! You are an amazing women, I love everything about you! You are such a great wife, and such a great mother!! I am glad to hear that Ryker doesn't need glasses, but I have to admit, he would be so stinken cute with glasses! He is such a handsome little guy! Good luck with food ideas, I will keep my ears and eyes open! love ya.

Jess said...

Hey Kim! I'm SO-O glad that we are connected through the blogging world! I'm dreading this weekend when Tallon gets his glasses, I thought that was bad, but having to force a 1 year old to wear the spectacles...I-Yie-Yie! (glad you don't have to fight that one). My good friend Liz (whose husband and sisterinlaw both have celiac's) has a blog website where she posts gluten free recipes. I personally have enjoyed some recipes, and she swears that they are all tasty! http://killthegluten.blogspot.com/ Hopes this helps! Miss you guys! Give Ryker a big kiss from us!