A long story short....

We dropped Ryker off last night at Cody's sisters house so all the cousins could play while the adults went out for dinner. At the end of dinner we got a phone call that Ryker had stuck his hands on the glass of the wood burning fire place. Thankfully Cody's niece has taken her first aid and knew exactly what to do, but we hurried home. He was doing okay when we got there...holding his hands very carefully, but they were all blistered. Cody's sister put more cream on them and we tried to bandage them up as best as we could, but of course Ryker did not like that. We took him home and he started to really cry and get upset (of course I've been bawling the whole time too). He was in soooo much pain we could tell and when Cody went to the drugstore they said we should take him to the emergency after hours care, so we rushed over there. Thankfully by that time he had fallen asleep in my arms, but they were able to look at him and could see that he had second degree burns.
It's hard to tell in the picture and it's doing so much better today, but his fingers are all blistered and the palm of his hands are blistered. He didn't want the doctor to touch him, so they couldn't bandage his hands. The doctor said it would be okay though and it would take about 2 weeks to heal.
It's hard to tell in the picture and it's doing so much better today, but his fingers are all blistered and the palm of his hands are blistered. He didn't want the doctor to touch him, so they couldn't bandage his hands. The doctor said it would be okay though and it would take about 2 weeks to heal.It was such a blessing that we went to the emergency because the nurse that was helping us used to work in a burn center and was able to tell us exactly what would happen with his hands and what to watch for. She was so great. And it really helped to calm me down a bit.
He cried all night and couldn't hold his bottle which was so sad, but he seems to be happier today. He loves coloring and wanted to color so bad but couldn't hold his felts so I had to color for him while he watched...which he was happy with. We've been sleeping and just laying around today and doing everything to make this little guy happier and feel better.
We're staying home for New Years, but I hope everyone else has a great night!!
Kim :)
p.s. A huge thanks to my parents for coming over last night and driving us around so we could look after Ryker and not worry about anything else. Love you!

6 comments:
aww poor boy I'm always afraid of my kids doing that at my moms or even here now! Hope he gets better soon! and hope you have a very happy new year!ttys
Oh its so sad! His first really bad accident i think right? I'm glad he's feeling better though! Hopefully they will heal quickly!! Happy Newyears!
Give Ryker a big hug from us! I hope they heal quickly! Happy New Years!! <3- Hilorie
My heart is going out to all of you right now...your little man is so strong! What a trooper he is! Thinking of you all and I hope he feels so much better really soon!
xo
such a tough way to end the year...so hard to not be able to make things better for our kids, eh? my little guy was about 14 months old when he pulled my very hot curling iron onto his bare foot. I didn't realize he'd burned himself until hours later...i felt the size and quality of a crumb! and that curling iron stopped working a week later...go figure. anyways, he totally healed and there isn't even a mark now.
I wish you all the best...many happy memories in 2009!!
Awww, poor Ryker! I hope the speediest recovery ever. These things are the hardest things for moms especially.
Now this will sound totally wacky but... Heat actually works awesome for burns! My homeopath taught a first aid class and according to homeopathy you need to treat burns with heat. No, you don't burn it again but for example... After she had told me this I happened to burn my finger on my flattening iron. I was really doubtful about this remedy but thought it doesn't hurt to try. There was a blister starting to form on my finger. I just put my finger about half an inch away from the hot flattening iron (enought to feel warm but of course not burning again) and kept it there for maybe 15 seconds. And - a miracle! The pain went away and so did the blister! I couldn't believe it. In a short period of time I was able to do this three times and it worked every time (I don't usually burn myself all the time but it must have been one of those "supposed to" things so that I could spread the word about this remedy). It sounds so incredible but it really works. You can even do this after the fact. She told us a story of a person who burnt his foot on burning lava. Days later the foot was doing really bad and he came to her. They did the heat therapy and the foot started to finally heal. Anyways, this is worth trying. Our little girl burned her fingers with sparkly sticks but she wouldn't allow us to treat it. Anyways, long comment but every time this subject comes up I just have to share what I've learned. It works!
Post a Comment