Friday, June 19, 2009

remembering last week.

Thanks to everyone for your sweet comments on our new addition :) It really means a lot to hear from all of you!!


Photobucket


I can't believe our sweet little baby is already a week old!! Time sure flies, but I'm always saying that.


Last week was definitely eventful...full of surprises and new experiences. I woke up early Friday morning (2:00 a.m.) and my water had broken...or so I thought but really had no idea! I called my sister to ask what it would be like if it really was my water and she told me to call the hospital. After talking to the hospital they told me to come in and they would assess me...and if it was my water they had to put me on antibiotics. We were surprisingly calm as we got ready and waited for my mom to arrive. I guess it helped to have my bag packed and ready cause I really didn't have too much to worry about, except what was ahead of me. We made it to the hospital, they checked me out and said I'd be staying. At that point it was real...crazy...exciting...and we were so nervous. I didn't want to be one of those ladies that scream and yell at their hubbies...or are just miserable throughout, so I decided that when I was ready I would get an epidural. My contractions didn't start for another 2 hours so we walked around for a bit and just hung out in our room. Once they started we decided that we should time them and they were coming every 2 minutes. I had no idea what to expect, but my mom and sisters all have really fast deliveries, so I was hoping I would be more like them. With the contractions all over the place I decided that I should just get the epidural so that I had it and it wasn't too late. After that I didn't feel too much. So nice!!! I highly recommend it. We hung out some more. My contractions still and never were consistent, but I felt nothing. At one point the nurses started getting concerned that the umbilical cord was wrapped around the babies neck...there were lots of nurses and doctors in our room making sure everything was good. We found out after that the umbilical cord was wrapped around his shoulder and arm, but he had lots of room so everything was good. I pushed for just over an hour...that was a learning experience.... The nurses kept saying I was being too nice and that they needed to make me really mad...haha!! I just really wanted it to be a good experience. Our birth mother was so amazing when Ryker was born and I wanted to be like her. She was such a good example. Cody did great and made sure to mist me during each break (my sweet sister searched for an evian facial spray for me...it was seriously the best thing!!) and give me a drink.


We were put in a room later that afternoon...Cody and Maguire went to the nursery and I was hoping to get a little bit of sleep. Umm...but my room mate had a million visitors that kept bringing casseroles of the worst smelling food. It was so bad I almost started crying. Thankfully the plumbing went in our room so we had to be moved. Cody made sure to ask for a quieter room...so they put me in with this young girl who would have me watch her baby all night long while she went out for a smoke break...I don't know which was better??? The next day we were moved again...this time to a room with 4 beds! It was so busy....but it actually wasn't too bad cause at the time there was only one other girl and she was very quiet.


The nurses were great for the most part. There was only one that yelled at me and was trying to tell me I was feeding my baby too much. Really I wasn't...the nurse I had on the night shift even said that I needed to feed Maguire more. Whatever. We were happy to come home Sunday afternoon and I was so excited to see Ryker. I missed him so much and was completely shocked to realize how big he had gotten in just a few short days!! Funny how we think of our kids as our babies until you're holding a brand new baby....


We are adjusting to life at home. Ryker has been soooo good with the baby...minus a punching incident to Maguire's head...a little baby scream and many kisses from the culprit. haha.. It's going to take time. He asks about the baby all day long and kisses him good night. He tickles Maguire's feet and is always telling him that everything will be okay. He's going to be such a good big brother :)


I love my boys and am ready for the life ahead. Each day gets easier...I have moments where I can't believe I have 2 kids...and then moments when it all feels right. Maguire usually gets up once or twice in the night so I've been able to sleep pretty good. He's really a calm, quiet baby and only ever cries if he's hungry. I am truly blessed to have these sweet little boys in my life. What a blessing it is to be their mama. They bring me sooo much happiness!!!


K:)



Photobucket


11 comments:

Roxanne said...

Thanks for sharing, Kim!
It brought back those lovely and crazy memories when our second was born. Babies are so amazing.
And you've got another cute one there!! I'm glad you're taking it one day at a time....don't those days go so much quicker?!

Hilorie said...

He is adorable Kim!! I am so happy for you guys! Love you!

Sarah said...

It's nice to hear an update on how things are going!
Some nurses are just mean! I had some nasty ones in the hospital, too. Oh well, having a sweet new baby to squeeze makes everything worth it.
It's sure nice to have a happy baby that is capable of sleeping, huh? :) Take care!

Christie said...

Yay for babies! Maguire looks so different from his newborn picture!! ITs so weird how that happens! Hehehe, only one punching incident? Why did Maya get two in the weekend you guys were here? hehehe Thats funny. I'm so glad Ryker is doing well with Maguire! So cute! I'm so glad you guys are doing good! Love you! (Ps Thanks Kim)

Allison said...

Wow, melt my heart! Maguire is so stinkin' adorable, and it's so fun to hear how Ryker is doing with him. It'll be so fun for you guys to have two boys making life crazy/fun for you! This just made me a bit more excited for #2, thanks for sharing part of the excitement of yours with the rest of us!

Lindsay Bateman said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing your incredible story! :)
I am so happy for you all. Your photos are amazing. He is beautiful!

Itworksforbobbi said...

You are so awesome! Truly! I'm thrilled for all of you, and can see just how much you cherish the blessings in your life. Such an inspiration!

me said...

just wanted to say congrats, kim. what an amazing journey the last nine months have been for you. so excited for your family and i look forward to lots of pictures in the months ahead! it's bizarre how it seems to take so long for babies to get here (especially in the last few weeks of pregnancy!!) and then before you know it they are here and a week has gone by already! enjoy all those new born moments. we all know they don't last long. congrats, again. he's gorgeous.
xo, Jody

Sheri said...

Thanks for sharing your story! I am so glad that things went so well for you. I know all about the joys of sharing rooms (no fun).
The pics you posted are just so darn sweet. Ryker will toughen up your baby in no time (they are way less breakable than one might think! Alysha put James to the same test!)
Enjoy your little men :)

Talia said...

i can't wait to see my little boy this week! he is so sweet...loves!!
xo

Unknown said...

Oh Kim!!!!
I'm SO happy for you!!!
Congratulations!! What a precious miracle!