Tuesday, July 07, 2009

'frenemies'

Photobucket


Ryker has been the best little helper with his new little brother. I know I've said it here before, but there were a few change of plans this past weekend.... We have had our hands full with this little 2 year old who thinks he needs to hit and jump on Maguire any chance he gets. Well maybe I shouldn't say that exactly cause today we've had a great day with little to no problems. But let me tell you Friday and Saturday was a whole other story. He was so done with this new person in the house.


Photobucket

And I was having a hard time dealing with all the trouble, but I've decided to pick and choose my battles. I'm really trying to concentrate on the way I talk...trying to always say positive things instead of telling Ryker 'no' and 'don't do that' all the time. It can be hard to do, but I find it is making a difference. And also talking really positively about my 'big boy Ryker' cause he's acting like a baby...he even gets in the baby swing. Sometimes with Maguire in it!!

Photobucket

Any suggestions??!! 2 is a BIG adjustment, but I keep reminding myself how much fun it's going to be when the boys are a bit older and will play together and be best little friends...it seriously makes me soooo excited when I think about it!! I just love these boys :)


Oh and a little side note...Maguire had his check up last week and now weighs 7lbs. 11oz!! He's getting sooo big!! But he also had to have some blood work done to check his liver...lets hope we don't get any calls from the doc's office (that means good news!). I'm sure he's fine.

Kim



p.s. I *heart* adoption!!! A friend just adopted her 4th baby!! And I'm just soooo excited for her! Brings back so many memories with Ryker....

11 comments:

Christie said...

Hehe those two crazy boys!! (or should i say three crazy boys? hehe). Ryker is so funny! He looks HUGE compared to maguire! I love them both to pieces!!!! I just want to squeeze them both!!!
Congratulations to your friend who adopted. I am so happy for them! It is truly a blessed beautiful thing!

Love you all!

Shauna said...

I have done the sibling thing many times and some kids are better than others, but I have found that if you spend some individual time with the older one and do something they really love or something extra special that can sometimes help. I forget to do that sometimes because I just love to sit and hold my babies, but after my daughter said I didn't love her anymore and just loved the baby I realized that they need some attention too. Hope this helps. You're doing great!!

Kristi said...

Kim, if they are anything like my boys, they will always be frenemies! getting along so good at times, then fighting like crazy. I totally don't remember when they were little, I think I have repressed those crazy day memories. good times are ahead! good luck!

Sarah said...

Hey Kim, cute photos of your boys! I'm sure Ryker will get better with time as he realizes that Maguire is there to stay! :)

Sheri said...

I look forward to the day when our kids are best buds too! Just recently they have really started to interact and it just melts my heart when they laugh and smile at each other (of course that can often be followed by a good smack for James from his sis!). I just really try to get down on the floor and play with Alysha while James naps (even when my house really needs some attention during that precious nap time......I figure one on one time is probably more important). I'm sure Ryker will adjust soon enough!

The Heavenor's said...

I love that picture of Ryker holding Maguire, lol, too cute!

Allison said...

Oh there is a light at the end of the tunnel, don't worry! I was 3 when my brother was born and I vividly remember the "attention envy". I even remember the "talk" my dad gave me, haha. Let's just say, I love him now, I hope that makes up for those early days where I dramatically denied any love I had for him!

Lindsay Bateman said...

Beautiful photos Kim. I am sooo happy for you and your family!:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim
Sorry, I am kind of late but I want to say congratulations on your new arrival..!!! I haven't "visited" your blog in a while. Your boys are precious and I only have one boy but by reading the messages, things will only get better.
take care and I love the baby's room too. YOu are way to creative.
Take care
Sylvia Urbina

Christal said...

you boys are so cute I understand the frenemies thing with masen always have to keep an eye on him!! Fun times eh. I hope all the blood work is fine.
Thanks for the shout out too I ♥ adoption --- blessings so many of them!!

nichole said...

I was thinking about the other comment I wrote about how 2 kids were easier for me than 1. Then I read this post and I remembered that it was actually many months down the road that it became easier. So hang in there. The other suggestions about 1 on 1 time is great. My home never seems to be as clean or tidy as I want, but I figue that there is a season for everything. I don't want to regret not spending that special 1 on 1 time with my kids (which I'm finding takes up even more time with 3! Maybe someday I'll have a clean house again. maybe.)