Friday, August 21, 2009

please...please...please....

Photobucket

I'll give you lots of kisses if you give me some suggestions on how to get rid of my bottle....and potty training!!!


This boy is doing amazing going on the potty, but I still haven't gone full force yet. I'm thinking I need to get rid of the bottle first. When we travel in the car he holds it until we stop and take him out to the bathroom. The first time we didn't quite know what was wrong and then we asked him if he needed to go to the bathroom and he said yes. So we pulled over right away and off he went. His diaper was dry!! I want to keep encouraging him and get going if he's ready, but not too sure what I should do about the bottle. He's pretty attached to it right now with Maguire in the house...he thinks he's a baby. But...it's gotta be done sometime, right?


Advice is needed....pwease....


sanks!! :)

8 comments:

Colleen said...

Kim - The best advice I could say is to give it time. My son took forever to get rid of the bottle and also to potty train!! I was soo frustrated all the time with both of these issues and I really struggled. But NOW he doesn't have a bottle anymore and he is fully potty trained and I lived to tell about it.
It will all happen. It really will. I never believed it would - but it did - just not exactly on my terms..
Ryker really will decide when he is ready and it may take a while. What is the rush? Just keep doing whatever you are doing. I am certain you are doing it right. Don't put pressure on yourself. You are doing an awesome job - you are such a great mother.
It will all happen. I promise.

Anonymous said...

If YOU are fully committed, get rid of the diapers/pull ups & put him in underwear all day (except naps & bed). He will get the idea & feel wet in the undies, it shouldn't take more than 3 days. You should stay home & be prepared to clean messes!!! It will happen & if he's telling you, you are already ahead!

Give him a sippy cup instead of the bottle

Have fun, being a mom isn't always easy!!

Amy

Fiona said...

My son was 2 1/2 when my daughter came along and almost fully potty trained and off both the bottle and pacifier.....within 2 days he completely reverted back and took forever to gain back all of the lost ground.

Take him shopping to pick out his own "really cool" sippy cup then it's HIS and no one else can use it. As for the potty training......I'm with the others, he'll do it on his own when he's ready. We never went the Pull-Up route though....always thought that was an expensive waste of time. Make sure he knows that he's almost old enough to go to school, and that nobody in school wears diapers. Only big boys with no bottles are allowed to go to school.

Good Luck!

Joanne said...

get rid of the bottles( out of sight out of mind for you) and get him his own sippy cups. try only giving him a cup at meal times. My kids were off the sippy cup by a year. as for potty training- I bribe with candy and only wait until he is completely off of the bottle first. goodluck! it'll happen eventually and as someone told me- they don't go to kindergarten in diapers and a bottle!!!

Anonymous said...

Whatever you do, don't do both at the same time! Love the lips!!!!!

Chelsey

Talia said...

i agree with chels...i would get rid of the bottle before potty training. my best advice is just get rid of it...no if, ands or buts. you'll have a few rough days, but you might be surprised how well he adjusts! for gabby, we just put a little bit of the chocolate syrup into her milk in the sippy...she's happy to drink the chocolate milk! let me know how it goes!

Anonymous said...

hey kim,

luci only had a bottle for a short time and it wasn't really an attatchment...but the potty training...she was almost 3, so maybe a little late by some people standards. but we had a sticker chart. 1 for #1 and 2 for #2. if she had an accident, they were taken off the chart. it didn't take too long. but don't rush it, listen to your gut feelings, you know your son the best.

now...to get luci to leave her blanky at home....

Denise

nichole said...

Well, I remember I wrote a huge post last time about potty training and to just wait until they are completely ready, and let them lead it. But there does come a point where you do have to do some work. We have just started doing the complete thing with Taya (I needed at least 1 full week where we could just stay home. Which worked well these past two weeks right before school started for Cara.) A friend of mine had bought some Pull-Ups, which had a DVD in it on toilet training. Although it was super cheezie, I did learn a few tips. Once you've switched to training pants or underwear (I don't feel like Pull Ups works because they don't get super uncomfortable like they would in underwear) you never go back to a diaper, even at nap time or bed time, or traveling, ect... It's best if they get to pick it out their underwear themselves. Also, never ask, "Do you need to go?" because when they get busy in an activity or playing, they will usually say, "NO!" So you tell them "it's time to go bathroom now". Then you take them and try. Also, if they have an accident, don't worry about it and praise them on something they did right. Never make it a power trip, like, "I told you to go, but you didn't, and now look what happened." Some people do the whole sticker thing. I really like to try to obstain from that and get them more intrinsicly wanting to do it rather than for the reward. So we do big cheers, "You did it! Hip Hip .... Hooray. Hip Hip .... Hooray!" It also said to talk a lot about them being a "Big Kid." We got a book from the library and have read it lots. We drank lots of juice the first few days to get her used to going frequently. Yesterday was her first day compleletely accident free!!!! But then tonight we went to my grandparents, and the whole time we were there, she wasn't successful once. So it does take time. Just stay positive.