Thursday, January 14, 2010

Supper...

The dreaded time of the day around here is 5:00...


not only because the kiddies seems to be a little cranky and tired, but because it means I have to think about what we're going to be eating for supper.

I'm not the best cook out there, but oh how I would love to be...haha!!  I'm just not good at whipping up a delicious supper...and I should add that it's never horrible either.  I guess I'm just too impatient and want it done right then.  And I hate following all the measurements exactly...not good at that.

I should also add that Cody has Celiac Disease, so I kind of have to work around him a bit too.  It makes it a little difficult sometimes.


So....

One thing I want to work on more this year is actually doing a bit more meal planning so that at 5:00 when everyone has had it...we can actually sit down to a decent meal.  Shouldn't be too hard, right?  haha!


Someone left a link to this place (thank you whoever you are!) and it looks really good.  There are meals you pic from and it gives you a grocery shopping list...etc...etc...


but then....


I also came across this blog with this 30 meal plan.  It looks like a great idea too!  The idea is you find 30 meals your family loves and you create a grocery shopping list for those items (she gives you so much help figuring out how to do all this and how to organize everything) and then you try to always have those items on hand so you can make any of the meals...read more about it cause she explains it in more details and better than I can.  And it's all in steps on her blog.


I don't have anything to show yet what I'm planning on doing, but I'm thinking I'm going to create my own kind of calendar and take ideas from both these places.  I really should also ask my friend about her meal planning again cause she was soooo organized.  I'm always looking for other ideas and examples from people...and I definitely have favorite cooking sites that I check out regularily for dinner ideas.  And I love hearing what other families love and trying their recipes.  I have found a few of our favorites that way...  :)


Wish me luck on this big adventure...it feels like a huge task to me.



:)

5 comments:

Hilorie said...

I am so proud of you Kim, This is something that I really need to work at! I admire your hard work so much, I remember when we treated Shey with ciliac it was so hard ( It was only about a week!)! Keep up the awesome work! Love you!

Christie said...

Im trying to work on the same thing. Its hard! I dont know how my mother did it all these years (and still does it) but boy am I more appreciative of her after figuring out how hard just cooking dinner is.
Im not the cook in this family anyway. Josh is. He can look in the pantry and figure out something to make just with what we have. I cant. I have to plan and know exactly what i'm making before i look in the pantry. We're in the same position!
Thanks for the tips!

Mandi said...

Hey Kim. I was going through the same situation back in December. I love to cook but I was finding that once I got home from work I wasn't in the mood to figure out what to have. So by the time my husband and I figured it out, it was like 7 and not the healthiest meal.

So what I have been doing for the past few weeks now, is every Sunday I plan out what I am having every night for the next week and write it on the fridge. I find that it has saved me lots of money on groceries, but also so much more organized when I get home from work, I already know what I am having for supper.

Good luck.

Sheri said...

My sister and I always call that 5 o'clock hour the "witching hour"....it is always crazy here too!!!
I laminated a meal calendar and put it on my fridge and use a dry erase marker to make my plans a week or so ahead of time. On the back of the calendar I listed tons of meal ideas to pick from. I also look at lots of food blogs for new ideas. It has made a world of difference so I always have the ingredients on hand and don't have to make any extra trips to the store. Good luck!

Talia said...

ugh, i hate supper time, too. gray and i lately have been planning on sunday night what we'll eat for the rest of the week, we make our list, get everything on monday and then we're set for the week. it DOES make things easier when we plan! imagine that. (wink)