Thursday, June 10, 2010

Quilting

A few little projects I thought I'd share...and yes...they are all quilting projects!


I know...I'm not a quilter, but I can wish and try once in awhile!!  I have a confession though...I love love love quilts, but I just don't have the patience for it.  Thankfully you can't look too closely at them and see all the mistakes...but really aren't they cute??


This first one I started just before Maguire was born.  I had collected this material from some on-line stores...etsy...and then a couple of stores here and here...kept it simple by just sewing squares together, but then I went into labor and didn't finish.  Thankfully my sweet mom had it finished for me before I was out of the hospital.  Aren't moms great?!!  My mom is the best.  Two of the three quilts I'm sharing she finished for me.  I love working on the top, but I get bored after awhile and don't tend to finish...sounds like too many other things I'm working on...haha!!  But I LOVE how this turned out.  Love it!

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had bought all this vintage material for it...love it!




And this quilt I actually did all by myself!  Everything.  I was quite proud of myself...hehe!!  I made this for my cute little nephew Ronan and managed to finish it a couple of days before he was born.  If I hadn't got it finished I don't know if it ever would have been done.  I used more of the vintage fabrics I had bought when I made Maguire's quilt, but I also used a lot of scrap material that I had.  I think it turned out pretty cute...and my sister loved it!

Photobucket

Photobucket

The colors match his room...I love blue and green.



And then lastly...

Photobucket

I made this quilt for our bedroom.  I had started it before Maguire was born and thought I'd get around to finishing it one day...well one day came and I pulled it out of our closet.  I was determined to get it done.  Thankfully once again my mom offered to help at just the right time.  She quilted it for me and did all the finishing.  And it turned out just how I wanted it.


I was sewing once again today...not quilting, but working on something else and I started thinking about these quilts I had "made."  How much I love them and love seeing them in my home or giving them to people I love.  How special they are.  Both my kids have special quilts that they've been given and absolutely love.  In fact I've often wondered how I would ever replace them if something were to happen to them...haha!!  But isn't it so much sweeter knowing that someone lovingly made them???  I still have a quilt that my grandma had given me when I was a little girl...I remember it was on my first "big girl bed."  And when she passed away my grandpa took over the quilting so that each grandchild could have a quilt when they got married.  They were those tied quilts with the flannel on each side...the best for cuddling up in front of the t.v..  One more priceless quilt we've been given....




I hope that there will be many more quilts in my life.  :)

8 comments:

Talia said...

They are all GORGEOUS, kimmy!! I totally want to make a new quilt for my room, you have me inspired. Maybe I'll tackle that over the summer!!

Dixie said...

Good job Kim -- I'm so impressed! (With your mom, too!) I started helping Dallin with one when he was in grade 7. It's still sitting in the fabric cupboard waiting to get finished. haha.

lindsey loo said...

wow!! they are amazing! i just started a quilt for my daughters room, i hope it turns out as nice as yours :)

Sheri said...

Those quilts really are gorgeous! I totally rely on my mom to help me get any of the quilts I have done finished too.
i feel super inspired to make myself a quilt. I always think about making things for the kids but never even think about doing one for myself.

Anonymous said...

They are amazing Kim! Good job :)-Love ya, Hil

Christal said...

oh my gost these are amazing!!! I love them!! you are seriously so talented!! awesome job!! and way to go to your mom she is awesome for doing the finishing work!

Lyndi said...

You have such amazing taste in material and colour! I often think that when I read you posts on scrap booking or any other creative things you do. Your quilts are absolutely beautiful I think!

nichole said...

I am so impressed. Any time I want a quilt, I tell my mom I actually want to learn this time. But some how magically I end up with a finished quilt at my door step. Which, at the time, I never seem to mind, because it has save me the time. But I still don't know how to do it myself. I'm going to have to put my foot down one of these days. Yours turned out gorgeous. Love the vintage fabric.