We had a little family party for Maguire and since his birthday was on a Sunday this year I decided to keep things really simple and just have dessert (but that's a whole other story for a bit later in the post).
The 'M' and balloons didn't stay outside long since it was a bit windy and the balloons started to pop....
Birthday parties are always one of my favorite things to decorate for...I don't really do themes other than colors, but I'm sure once the boys get a bit older that will change.
The decorations began with these cute pom-pom garlands...banners...whatever you wanna call them! So fun and super easy to make. All I had to do was think back to grade 1 when my teacher Mrs. Howard taught me to wrap yarn around a piece of cardboard and tie it together with another piece of yarn. You then cut all the loops of yarn making the cutest pom-pom. Seriously they are that simple! hehe!
I ran around the house and quickly gathered frames that already had pictures of Maguire in them...added them to the mantle, blew up a couple of balloons and done. Easy.
I made another banner of my cutie boy using a few of my favorite pictures of him and alternated with some book pages....
I made a simple table runner using a piece of fabric and sewing different ribbon and tulle across the ends. I kept it really rough and raw, but I loved how it turned out. And then of course ordered some cute straws, napkins and plates and I was done!
If you're wondering about the beautiful cupcakes here is the story. I don't do baking. I'm just not a baker. Yes, I attempt it once in awhile but it's never the kind of thing that looks pretty or you'd want to serve to guests. And for some reason whenever I have to bake for a birthday or event it especially goes wrong. I don't know what I was thinking, but the day before the party I still had no idea what I was going to do for "dessert". Somehow I decided to attempt cake pops...not a good idea for someone who doesn't bake (I should add that I have made them before and they were yummy!). So Saturday I slaved over these ugly hideous cake pops. Not sure what went wrong...but there was no way we were eating those things for Maguire's birthday party. 8 o'clock p.m. I left to help serve cupcakes for seminary grad that my friend was doing and I still had no plan for the cake. As it turned out there were lots of cupcakes leftover from the grad party and they offered to let me take some home! How perfect was it that the cupcakes just happened to be orange!!! They were seriously sooooo yummy!!! It was perfect. So a huge thanks to my friend Sharon for making the best cupcakes I've ever served at a birthday!! haha!!
When I saw this idea from Elizabeth it brought back soooo many memories of working at Koffee Cafe (my favorite job ever! haha!). We used to make ours a little bit different...instead of using whipped cream we added a bit of cream and I think I like it better that way.
I have been addicted ever since!
I wish I would have taken a picture of the little area where all the ingredients and glasses were set out, but I missed those details! I guess I was just in too much of a hurry to get things done. oops!!
The birthday boy in the highchair I specially painted for the party!! (the chalkboard and highchair are going to be a part of a little sale my sister and I will be having in a couple of weeks. We have been obsessed with painting furniture and making fun things!! More details about that soon though.)
He blew his candle out before we could even start singing, but he was adorable just sitting in his chair! Oh I just love him....
We all headed outside to open presents and let the kiddies play! It was a beautiful night!
And of course I had to end with a little treat bag that I just filled with some fun little toys for the kids. Super simple....
It was fun just celebrating that cute little boy!!
We missed having the rest of our family with us, but it's hard when everyone is all over the place!!
K :)


















9 comments:
LOVE IT! and you are just gorgeous in that first picture! So glad that the cupcakes worked so well for you. And Maguire, love the kid! he is so sweet and fun to be around, glad I am getting a chance to know him a bit ♥
The party looks amazing! I have to agree with Sharon; you do look gorgeous.
That is so great that the cupcakes turned out so perfectly.
I must admit that you have me pretty curious about your "sale"........furniture refinishes are just too fun.
Love the cupcake story! It's these fun details that make parties memorable! Everything looks splendid Kim, and I also like a little cream in my Italian Sodas!
Fun! Everything looks fabulous! Your photo with Maguire is so beautiful! Happy Birthday Maguire!
so cute, kim! love all the details, it looks amazing! and that highchair...um, me please? seriously.
:)
everything looks fabulous!! wonderful job on his bday party.
I love that high chair!! ;)
such a good mom! also that first picture you look gorgeous!!!!
What a wonderful party! Where did you find the big letter "M"?
Well, I was going to make my first comment about how great you look in that first picture, but everyone else beat me to that. My second comment, though, is that I'm still laughing over the phrase, "Since his birthday was on a Sunday this year, I decided to keep things really simple." All that fantastic detail was incredible. Your definition of "simple" is totally different than mine. haha.
Post a Comment