Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Child's Persepective...

(photo taken in Phoenix November 2010 by Ryker)


We sat waiting one day for the elevator in the parkade.  And it was taking forever.  Of course you can't just press the 'up' button once when you've been waiting soooo long, but still nothing happened.  Ryker being a sweet little 3 year old quickly chirps up and says..."We need to say a prayer!"  My first thought was "Right here?  right now?"  And so Cody being the better parent in the situation responded by saying "Sure!"  Ryker gave a sweet little prayer asking for the elevator to open while Cody and I are praying to ourselves that his prayer be answered.  And nothing.  It wasn't the perfect answer to his little prayer...and we both quickly tried to make it okay...while we walked back into the mall and took the escalator back up stairs to another door leading to the parkade level where we actually parked.


I have thought about that moment everyday since it happened.  Really more times in a day than I can count.  Thinking about how we could have handled the situation better...to teach Ryker about answers to prayer.  He's 3.  It really didn't matter to him that the elevator door didn't open...he was thrilled to ride the escalator again.  But what I've thought about is the responsibility we have as parents to teach our children what is right...how to respond and act...about instilling values and standards in them...making sure that they are learning all these things in the home.


One day in the future when we are in a similar situation I hope and pray that our children will remember once again to turn to the Lord.  And be okay with whatever the answer may be.  That they may know He is always listening.

3 comments:

Christie said...

That just warms my heart!! I love when little kids say things that are just so sweet and innocent and true!
You make us proud Ryker!

Sheri said...

I love the purity of little children. They have a way of keeping things simple; a good lesson for us all to remember.
Thanks for your sweet words Kim.

nichole said...

Don't worry, you'll get lots more chances! You guys are great parents.