Saturday, January 01, 2011

it's a new year!



A new year means so many things...a new start...new goals...new outlooks...new experiences...okay so a lot of 'new' things, but it's also a time to reflect.  This past year seemed like it was busy.  Full of exciting and good things.  Of course some not so good things too, but overall it was a great year.  I took a little time to look back at my goals from 2010 and I'm embarrassed to admit that in some areas I didn't do so well.  And I have no excuses.  It just didn't happen.  It's okay though...it's a new year...a new start.  My list this year seems long.  I figure that if I just write everything down here then I can look at it as a "to-do" list that I can check off as things get down or are worked on.  Some things can be accomplished quickly and then others are habits that need to be formed...not an easy fix or change, but will take time this year to work towards.  Okay....I'll just begin the list (I'll warn you that it will be random, but it's for me, right?)  :)


- Clean out every closet in the house...and I mean every closet.  I feel like I'm always doing this, but it's something that needs to get done.  If I was even more on top of things I would have cleaned out the coat closet before it snowed and realized that Maguire needed another winter hat and that Ryker could use a scarf.  Instead I waited until after it had snowed a ton and was searching through baskets of winter stuff to figure out that we had unmatched mittens!

- I'm thinking of starting another quilt.  This time I want to make one for the basement that we can snuggle under when we're watching t.v.  Yes, we already have blankets and quilts down there, but it's time for something new.  (and some of the blankets down there are just too small or not my favorite)

- I need to figure out a workout schedule.  So this is a similar goal to last year, but I feel like I actually accomplished my goal from last year a little bit.  I had said I wanted to get in better shape and I have...eating wise.  After getting married and struggling a bit with some things and then having a baby I gained some weight.  Common problem.  But I was ready to do something about it.  After one of my besties introduced me to this book I really started to figure out what works for me.  I changed a lot of my eating habits (partially due to Cody) and the way I cook.  Just by making some simple changes to the way I eat I have lost about 15 pounds!  It's amazing what eating can do.  I feel so much better and even so much more educated on nutrition.  I have done no exercising though...and that needs to change.  So that is why I am making this one of my goals.  I'm not great at going to the gym, I'd actually prefer to figure something out that will work for me at home.  

- I have some house projects to finish.  Things in the garage that need to get done...these are decorating projects.  We have a heated garage too, so there is no excuse on this one either.  I just need to take a couple of nights and get it done.

- Project Life!  After thinking about it a little I decided to just go ahead and do it.  I think it will be soooo worth it.  I'm acutally really excited about this!!

- Another creative goal I have is to take more pictures of myself this year!  Not that I need pictures of me...but my kids need to see that I was there too.  That I was a part of their lives.  Cause the way it's going right now I'm the one that's always behind the camera.  They'll have millions (literally) of themselves and of course pictures with their daddy...but when am I ever in the picture with them?  Today I started by just taking a picture of me.  Nothing exciting, but one day I'll look back and either think "I liked that haircut!" or "What was I thinking wearing that?"  haha!  But I need to have a few of those pictures thrown into the rest of the pictures of our lives.

- A more spiritual goal...really study my scriptures.  Again this was a goal last year, but I need to always keep it as my goal because I'm striving to always improve in this area.  There's reading...and then there's really studying.  There's a difference.

- Of course I want to blog more.  This is one of my main forms of journaling at the moment.  It seems a little sad that this is sometimes the best it gets for me, but it's something.

- take more time to read.  This is something that I love to do, but never seem to find the time.  I've tried carrying a book around with me, but a few minutes here and there doesn't get me far.  I have some good books that I'm dying to dig into, but just haven't found the time.  I think I need a holiday so I can get some reading done...it's one of the only times I get to really read.


Okay...there's really way too many.  I should just stop here.  There's lots.  And I'm okay with the list.  I don't mind that the list is long...it's okay.  I'm going to do my best.


I'm just excited for a new year!


K :)

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm also excited for the new year and the fresh start it brings. I LOVE your December Daily album. I need to finish mine- YIKES!

Happy New Year!

Sheri said...

I love New Year's resolutions! Great list Kim. I have things that seem to make the list year after year (I think it is because we can always do more with them and they will most likely always make the list).
You look gorgeous in your picture. I have lots of great workout videos that I can suggest and you know I have loved running this year!
Keep us posted on how it goes. Happy New Year!

Talia said...

an awesome list of goals!! you'll be amazing!! xo