Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Thoughts and Pictures...

First of all to answer a few questions...

As long as I remember to do it all my pictures will have my name on them.  I want to try and keep my pictures safe, but I still want to share them here.  I'm not the greatest with computers, so I'm not too sure about the whole pdf thing...or what would be better than that...I just want to protect my pics a bit.  

and....


I've been asked a lot recently if Tal and I had attended Creative Escape, but unfortunately this year we weren't able to go.  We were supposed to be volunteers, but it was going to be too expensive and there were other things going on that same time for both of us.  I have to admit though that it was sad knowing what we would be missing out this year...but I'm so glad things worked out the way they did just with everything that was going on around here.  

Cody and I were able to attend the annual Adoption Conference and the theme this year was "One Miracle At A Time".  This year was a little bit different...instead of the dinner and banquet on the Friday night, Friday was our Workshop day and Saturday was a World Wide broadcast.  When we walked into the church there was a display of books that were all about adoption...something I totally want to do for Ryker.  I had no idea how many cute little children's books were out there (really all kinds of books) and there were even a couple of books that a lady had made about her own personal adoption experience.  A long time ago I had started a book for Ryker, but it's one of those projects that somehow got put away and hasn't been looked at again.  Among all the books were some cd's...and one in particular that caught our eye.  And then on Saturday as part of the broadcast Cherie Call sang a song she had written for a couple about their adoption experience.  She had read letters that had been exchanged between the birth mother and the adoptive couple and it's really soooo touching.  It turned out to be from this particular cd...and the message of the song is so similar to our own experience.  One part of the song says:

"And even though you may not get to hold him for a while
 A piece of you will be with him everytime he smiles
And when he looks at his reflection, he'll see traces of the face
Of the one who made the sacrifice to send him to this place"

There's always something that makes me cry and this song totally did it for me.  Just thinking about our own experience and how amazing it was.  How we have been given an amazing gift and blessing to be Ryker's earthly parents...how we are so blessed to have a special and open relationship with Ryker's birth mom...she's amazing!!!  And how I think of her everyday and am reminded as I look at him of the incredible love she has for him.  Adoption really is all about love...the love from a Heavenly Father who guides us and knows what is best for us.  Who protects us and is there to help us when we need it.  I know he hears and answers prayers...and gives us miracles.  It's about the selfless sacrifice that is shown...love can do amazing things.  During one of the workshops we talked about openness.  If you're not familiar with adoption, you have to make an openness agreement between you and the birthmother.  Usually it's things like letters and pictures and you set out a time frame that you follow.  In our situation it now almost seems silly that we had to make an agreement cause I just can't imagine not having the relationship I have with our birth mom.  It's like having more family...and who has to agree to write letters and send pictures to family.  It's just something you do cause you love and care about them.  We want her to have the opportunity to be in Ryker's life.  And Ryker will be so blessed to know her and never have to wonder and question anything.  Yes, we've received and sent special letters and have sent pictures too, but not because we have to...but because we love her and are so thankful for her and all she's done for us.    Saturday there was a birth mother panel and each girl shared her adoption experience...each so different...and another moment for many tears.  I can not even begin to express the feelings I have.  Being on the other side of things...our situation was hard, but I can't possibly imagine the difficult choices these beautiful girls have had to make.  The weekend was so good for me.  I think I really needed it. 



On to other things though.  I took some pictures of my niece and wanted to share....












Isn't she sooo cute??!!  We had such a fun time with her here.  I just loved having her around.


Kim :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE THE PICS!
I TOTALLY AGREE ABOUT THE PICS... IM LABELING MINE NOW TOO!

I HOPE ALL IS WELL!

SHERI

sheranparkenrichment said...

A friend of mine here in our ward has adopted 2 little girls and hearing her stories has often reminded me of you and Cody. You guys are such awesome parents! I'm so glad Ryker has the opportunity to have both of you as examples for good in his life.

Also, absolutely amazing pictures. Especially with your name on them, they look extra professional. Do you use paper backgrounds (on the roll). I have only gotten the big drapey canvases, but never the paper. But it looks so good!

nichole said...

That last comment was from me; I forgot I was signed in under our Relief Society enrichment blog.

Andi said...

Oh Kim, thanks for sharing...I love hearing your stories of adoption and what a beautiful things it truly is!

Gorgeous pictures...she is a doll!

Talia said...

cutie cute pictures. she seems like has a BIG personality for a cute little girl. so fun!

Ashley said...

I'm glad the adoption conference was so good for you. It sounds awesome.

The pictures of your niece are adorable.