Friday, May 08, 2009

When is it time?

I was down stairs on the computer working on something with my sister when I heard a toilet flush upstairs....  I immediately ran upstairs to find Ryker standing by the toilet putting toilet paper in the toilet and flushing the toilet.  When I grabbed him to bring him out of the bathroom I realized his jammies were all wet (a huge circle on his bum).  That's when I realized he had tried sitting on the toilet...fell in...was pretending to wipe...and flush the toilet!  It was a mess.


I hadn't planned on toilet training until after the baby and closer to his third birthday, but how do you know when they're ready???


What to do???


No...I don't plan on starting the potty training thing...really he's not ready.  He doesn't hold it or anything and we're still dealing with a bit of poop issues, but does it hurt to put them on the toilet and let them try?


First time here with all this stuff...so advice will help!


:)

11 comments:

~Kim said...

Hey Kim...I've followed your blog for quite awhile, but don't comment for some silly reason.

My little girl just turned three and we had been trying to potty train for about 4 months. At first she wanted nothing to do with the potty, but I still encouraged her to sit on it. We bought the whole step stool, small potty, books, charts, etc. I think we almost overdid it actually as she still didn't show interest in going.

But I still left all of that stuff in the bathroom just in case. A few weeks later, I found her in there sitting on small potty...clothed but atleast it was a step in the right direction.

We did the pull up thing only because her little school suggested we try. We were in pull ups for 3 months! But then one day, she just got it. She was staying dry all day and throughout the night in pull ups so we just tried.

I so wish there was a magic process to this, but there isn't. I know a friend of mine has two little boys and she got them both potty trained by making it into a game of sorts. She had a jar full of cheerios and anytime they needed to go to the bathroom, they would play 'Sink the Cheerio'. It worked within a few weeks.

Best of luck to you girl! It's a trying time being a parent. But it sure is nice not to buy diapers and pull ups anymore....atleast until baby #2 comes for you! : )

Sorry to be so long winded....just wanted to encourage you that it will happen!! : )

~Kim

Christal said...

I wish I knew when the right time was I've been trying with masen but I need help I think he's ready then I'm not sure then its just a bigger mess oh I hate potty training! So I have no answers either but good luck lol!!
Joys eh!! Love the header you are so cute!! ttyl

Christie Smathers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christie said...

He's a smart boy.. I'm sure he can do it! Obviously i've never done the parenting thing before either.. but hes so smart - Id bet he could do it!

Hilorie said...

I love your new header, very cute!
I feel the same way with the potty training with Cohen, one day he show signs, then the next day he's not! If you have a good trick, you are more than welcome sending it my way :) Love you!

Anonymous said...

I love your new header too!!! It is so cute and I love the belly!

Chelsey

Mindy said...

Kim,
I would say get a little potty chair and leave it out. If he wants to sit on it let him. Before bath is always a good time to sit them on it just to get used to it. I wouldn't push the issue but if he's interested definitely don't pass it up. Take what I say with a grain of salt too, 2 of my 3triplets are trained, one is not and he's 4-1/2! This summer for sure! My 18 month old may beat him to potty training anyway -- but she's a girl and they are definitely easier! Good Luck!l

Anonymous said...

Potty training is a form of parental torture. If he's showing signs he's ready, that's fantastic. My advice is when you do start, don't bother with pull-ups. They are a waste and no different from a diaper, just more expensive. Put him in big boy underwear (it's fun to let them pick it out) and let him feel how gross it is when he wets in them. It will be messy but he'll catch on.

Anonymous said...

Kim,
I've been reading your blog for a while, but never comment until now! I've got an almost 3 year old boy and a 4.5 year old girl. My daughter has some developmental delay issues and potty training has been a nightmare, but she's finally figured it out and is trained.
My little boy is going to be trained this summer, whether he likes it or not. There's a non-refundable pre-school deposit on the line.
My advice is do not go the route of using Pull-Ups except at night. Kids understand that they are just like a diaper and that "cold wet feeling" that they claim, does nothing!
It will be warm outside soon, when the diapers are gone in a week or two, we're going to go 100% underwear and that's it. Crocs are also a plus when training. They can go in the washing machine and dishwasher!
If Ryker tried to sit on the potty, get a potty chair and put him in elastic waist shorts or pants and let him go! He's telling you he's interested. It's a lot with a new one on the way, but only one in diapers will be so nice for you!

nichole said...

After doing this a few times I feel I have learned the hard way. My advice is: introduce the topic. Show them how to use the toliet, read books about it. But DON'T force it on them, even when they show signs they are ready. When they look like they are having a bowel movement you can try and rush into the toilet if they want to. From the time Ellie was 12 months she would tell me 3-4 times during the day. "Bathroom!" she would call out. Then, when she was finally ready, she started taking off her diaper. So that's when we had a big Underwear Party and she's been pretty much 100% since. Of course it had to be 10 days after we had our 3rd baby! With my oldest, she showed signs, and so I thought I would switch her to underwear. We tried everything. She would do okay for awhile and then regress. It was so stressful. My VT gave me the best advice, just introduce and then let them be the guide. It has been so less stressful now. With Taya, who turns two in Aug, I take her in when she wants or if I catch her having a bowel movement and say, "Let's go to the Bathroom!" very excitedly. That way it never becomes a negative thing for them.

Amy said...

Hey Kim
I just stumbled across your blog and thought I'd add my 2 bits.

I found the best book at the library on potty training. It's called "Toilet Training in Less Than a Day", by Nathan Azrin and Richard Foxx. It helps you know when he's ready and gives step by step techniques that are extremely effective.
Austin is a very strong-willed child and I thought potty training would be a nightmare. Not the case with this book. I was compeletely prepared and though it didn't take less than a day, we were done training by the end of the week.

Hope this helps. Email me and let me know how it goes. amyseely@hotmail.com :)